Summer is here, and that means boating season. Below are some great tips for safe boating this season.
- Check your vessel – Give your vessel a once over before getting on the water. Is everything in working order, do you have enough fuel? Check for emergency supplies, like a paddle, a radio and a bailing device. For a list of items required to be on your boat check the Utah State Park website at http://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/boating/laws-rules
- Use lifejackets – The majority of drowning victims are the result of boaters not wearing their lifejackets. Make sure every persona on the boat is wearing their life jacket prior to departure.
- Watch the Weather – Check the forecast before leaving home. Also be aware while on the water, if you notice darkening clouds, increasing wind or other changes consider heading to shore.
- Learn to Swim – If you are going to be spending time around water it is important to know how to swim, even if you wear a life jacket.
- Avoid Alcohol – The probability of being involved in a boating accident doubles when alcohol is involved.
- Use Common Sense – Operate the vessel at safe speeds, epecially in crowded areas. Stay alert at all times, pay attention to other vessels and to the passengers in your boat or in the water. Also be respectful of buoys and navigation aids.
Now that you are ready, go out and have some fun!