Have you ever been in an automobile accident? Do you know what to do if you are in one?
Accidents can be scary – below are 10 tips will help you know what to do.
- Assess Injuries – Determine if there are any injuries, call for medical help if necessary.
- Turn on Your Hazard Lights – This will help to warn oncoming traffic.
- Wait Until It’s Safe – Be sure to wait until it is safe to exit your car and always exit your vehicle away from traffic, even if it means using the opposite door.
- Call the Police – Always report the accident to the police, even if it’s a minor collision with no injuries.
- Exchange Information – Trade names, addresses, telephone numbers, driver’s license numbers and insurance information. However – do not discuss fault. If the other party decides not to stick around, write down or take a photo of the license plate details.
- Document the Accident – Write down a few notes and diagrams about what happened. If possible, take photos of the scene and any damage.
- Check for Witnesses – Ask potential witnesses to remain on the scene until the police arrive.
- Give the Police a Detailed Report – When the police arrive tell them exactly what happened, don’t exaggerate, but do give specific details.
- File a Claim or Notification – Contact your insurance company to either file a claim or notify them that you were in an accident, but do not wish to file a claim.
- Look into Accident Forgiveness – Check your insurance policy for an accident forgiveness clause that allows you to make an at-fault claim without any increase in premiums.