1. Furnace – A few thoughts on your furnace, first have a HVAC professional inspect and service your furnace. Second, change your furnace filters, this helps your furnace run more efficiently. Third, remove any flammable material near your furnace.
2. Doors and Windows – Check your exterior doors and windows, seal any crevice cracks outside. Check the weather stripping and replace it if necessary.
3. Plumbing – Remember to drain your sprinkling system to prevent the freezing and breaking over the winter. Detach and drain and store all garden hoses. Insulate any exposed plumbing pipes. Also, if you go on vacation, leave your heat on and set it to at least 55 degrees.
4. Roof, Gutters & Downspouts – Check your roof for worn or missing shingles. Clean out the gutters and use a hose to clear debris from downspouts.
5. Fireplace – If you have a wood burning fireplace when was the last time you had it cleaned? Be sure to get it cleaned regularly for it to work properly and prevent fires. Another good idea is to place a cap or screen on the top of the chimney to keep out rodents and birds. Also check that the fireplace damper is working properly.