We are moving quickly toward winter, now is a good time to prepare your home for freezing temperatures. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
- Prevent Plumbing Freezes – Drain all garden hoses. Insulate exposed plumbing pipes. If you go on vacation, leave the heat on, set to at least 55 degrees.
- Check Foundations – Remove all debris and vegetation from the foundation. Seal up any entry points to keep small animals from entering.
- Check the Exterior, Doors and Windows – Check your exterior for crevice cracks and exposed entry points around pipes and seal them. Use weather stripping around doors to prevent cold air from entering your home and caulk around your windows. Replace cracked glass.
- Prepare Landscaping and Outdoor Surfaces – Trim tress if branches hang too close to the house or electrical wires. Seal driveways, brick patios and wood decks.
- Furnace Inspection – Call an HVAC professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts. Check, and if needed change your furnace filter. Remove any flammable material from around your furnace.
- Get your Fireplace Ready – Put a cap or screen on top of the chimney to keep out rodents and birds. If your chimney hasn’t been cleaned for a while, call a chimney sweep to remove soot and creosote. Inspect the fireplace damper for proper opening and closing.